Search Engine Optimization or what is commonly known as SEO is a method of getting free “traffic” or visitors to a website or a webpage through natural or organic search results. It is the SEO’s goal to put a website in the top of the list or at least on the first page of the list when a person types in a word or a keyword into the search engine. SEO is considered an effective marketing strategy on the internet and is used by websites who want to maximize their presence on the World Wide Web.
In simpler terms, SEO is a technique that will place a website in a high rank in search results. Whether the search is for news, for images, for videos, or just anything that matters on the internet, it is the SEO’s objective to entice visitors to come and visit the website. When a website is able to attract a lot of visitors or “traffic,” then advertisers will also be drawn to it.
Effective SEO is able to entice the right market that a certain website is targeting. It is also essential so that your website is properly positioned and is easy to find when your target customers need your site. But in order to be at the top rank of a search result, it is important that you understand what search engines are looking for. That way, you are able to customize your site in such a way that it becomes relevant to the people looking for a certain service, product, or information.
Here are some important considerations in search engine optimization:
- Search engines want to refer people to relevant sites. If you want your site to be relevant, make sure your site:
- Contains appropriate content – the title, the text, and other details should cover relevant information
- Performs excellently – fast acting and links should be working properly. Good design may help, but readability is more important.
- Can show expert or authority reference – do not fail to cite your source of contents. Websites that are able to give links to authoritative or expert sites build credibility.
- Should be user-friendly – the entire visit of a customer to the site should be satisfying. That means your site is easy to navigate and the overall experience should be something that would entice your visitor to return.
- Search engines want to maintain their integrity and excellent user experience. Hence, they will not be happy with:
- High bounce rate – this means users should find relevant information in your site easily and not have difficulty navigating because of too much advertisement. Hence it is important to hit the balance of pertinent information and ads or pop ups.
- Over-using keywords – while it is true that keywords are important for a website to rank in the search result, too much of it will suffocate your clients. Keyword stuffing can make your content nonsensical or “hard sell”, and chances are, your website will be penalized by the search engine.
In search engine optimization, it is also important that links introduced in the page are opened in a separate new tab. When an external link redirects the user off from your site, it would be difficult to bring them back. The idea is to show users related articles in authoritative sites, but keeping them in your site as well.
Generally, SEOs operate in three principles: relevance, importance, and popularity. This being said, your website should be able to answer these questions:
- What is my website all about? This is important so that search engines are able to connect your site to the appropriate user.
- What kinds of search questions are used by folks who are searching for services and products like mine? Is my content relevant and can give strong support to my title?
- Is my website creating an emotional response from the user? Will the user recommend my website to someone else?
There are many techniques and strategies that you can use for search engine optimization, depending upon the theme of your website, the product and services that you offer, and your target market. But foremost is your understanding of how a search engine works so that you can tailor-fit your website and optimize its reach.